Thursday, August 22, 2013

Picture Book Experiment Post 5--Water and Photo Retakes



I did say that I was adding water to some of these pictures, didn't I?  Anyway, here's an example of a picture I had to retake.  The first one looked fine until I actually added the water, at which point I discovered that there was no good place to put the waterline.  There was also an annoying leaf right under the mermaid's hand that I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed earlier. So, I retook it a few inches away with a tree root to serve as the boundary between land and water. It looks a bit bleak without the grass, though....  At the moment I'm wondering if I should retake the retake. 

Adding the water is a fairly straightforward process, though it can get a little fiddly if there are a lot of places where there's something sticking out of it. Some sort of layer-capable photo editing software is essential. I'm using Photoshop 7, which is pretty obsolete but is the best I've got. Did I mention that I have no budget for this project? There's something to be said for old tools that you know how to use, though. And the result is never going to look strictly realistic anyway, not with the people made out of pipe cleaners, so I'm not too focused on using all the fancy buttons in the graphics program.  Photoshop 7 is probably capable of more realism than I'm asking it for at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment