Saturday, August 17, 2013

Picture Book Experiment Post 4--Photo Editing: Backgrounds


Here's an example of what I mean by editing backgrounds.... That isn't all that I've done to this particular shot, but it's a good topic to focus on for the moment. Neon and Jewel are fantasy characters, and it looks a bit odd to see them just hanging out in a hedge in front of a normal building. Here's the original, unedited version of this picture:

See what I mean?  Even my particularly potent "suspension of disbelief" won't let me pretend this is a natural habitat for a mermaid and a fairy.  (Well, a more domestic sort of fairy, maybe, but I'm aiming for something a bit wilder than that.)  I don't want thoughts of "What building is that?" to intrude on my story-telling. And that means that I need to edit it out and replace it with something more natural. (I also need to blend the two photos together as well as I can, which I admit still needs work in this particular instance.) The photo I used for this picture's background was pulled from publicphoto.org--I have essentially no budget for this project, so it's great to have free stock photos, and there are some nice ones in that collection.  I'll probably try a few more different backgrounds before I settle on one for this picture, but the example will give you the general idea.  I'm still looking for something more... woodsy.

Edit:  Here we go, it's woodsy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment