Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Picture Book Experiment Post 1--Meet Jewel and Neon


I am planning to create a picture book. By "create" I mean that I am going to write, illustrate,  design, format, and publish it myself.  I'm not going to get into a treatise on the relative merits of self-publishing, but that method does seem to fit this particular project--it's a rather experimental sort of picture book. Anyway, this blog seems like the perfect place to document the process, so I'll finally have a good reason to provide at least semi-regular updates. For the first post on the subject, I would like to present (drumroll, please--oh, wait, I posted the picture above the text, didn't I?) Jewel the fairy and Neon the mermaid, the main characters in my picture book-in-progress. They are made out of pipe cleaners. I know that's a rather unorthodox art style to use for illustrations, but, hey, it's what I'm good at and I have an idea. They're also pose-able, which streamlines the process quite a bit. It does, however, require a certain amount of photo-manipulation any time I need to portray the mermaid as actually in the water.  Fair trade, if you ask me. Stay tuned for updates on Jewel and Neon, self-publishing, and adventures in Microsoft Word.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth! I can't wait to see the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how long it will take to complete, but if you watch the blog you'll be one of the first to know that it's finished!

      Delete